What is the competition?
We hope you enjoyed taking part in the ‘SPHR Communicating your research to the public’ training sessions on 9 & 10 November. To help you put in to practice the skills you learnt during the sessions we are holding a ‘Three-minute thesis’ competition.
The challenge of this competition is to apply the techniques and principles you have learned to develop a filmed presentation that lasts no longer than three minutes for members of the public. (If you would like to access this training and do not have the links to view please get in touch)
Your entry should:
- Focus on what your research is about
- Focus on why your research is important to the public
- Be suitable for a public audience
How do I enter?
You will need to submit your entry via the file sharing platform www.wetransfer.com to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 23rd November 2020.
You will need to ensure your file is one of the following formats: .MOV, .MPEG4, .MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP, WebM, DNxHR, ProRes, CineForm, HEVC (h265). Your entry should be no longer than three minutes. If it is longer than three minutes it will be disqualified from the competition.
Who can view my video and vote?
Your entry will be uploaded to an unlisted playlist on the NIHR SPHR YouTube Channel. Only people who have the link to the unlisted playlist will be able to view your entry. We will share the link with you and your SPHR ResNet peers, and you will all be able to leave comments and vote for your top three entries. A form will be sent asking you to submit your vote.
The unlisted playlist will also be shared with the School’s Public Partners Network (PAN), and they will also vote their top three and offer feedback.
How is winner determined?
This competition will award two prizes:
- First and runner up prize for the entry that has the highest number of votes from your SPHR ResNet peers
- First and runner up prize that has the highest number of votes from Schools Public Partners Network (PAN)
The winners will be announced at this year’s SPHR PhD student Meeting on 15th December 2020. If you are unable to come to meeting not to worry, we will be in touch with you.
The winning entries will receive the following prizes: Book vouchers to be used at https://uk.bookshop.org/
The winning entries will also be added to the School website and shared on our social media channels.
Please note we will obtain consent before making the winning entries public.
Why should I take part?
- You can win a prize, and you will also be announced as the SPHR three- minute thesis winner which will look great on your CV.
- You can practice what you have learned through the training within a supportive and safe environment of SPHR
- You will have the opportunity to gain feedback from your peers and the School’s PAN members to help improve your communications skills
- This competition will support you in your professional development and help you to communicate you research effectively
- This is a fun way to interact and network with your SPHR peers and learn from each other – you never know you might even make a contact or a collaboration as a result
- The winning videos can be shared ‘if agreed’ through our NIHR communication channels increasing awareness and engagement on your research area
- You can opt to have your entry feature on your SPHR profile, again you can use your profile as way to enhance presence in your research area
Monday 23 November: Deadline to submit to entry
Thursday 26 November: View entries and vote for your top 2
Thursday 10 December: Deadline to submit vote and leave comments
Tuesday 15 December: Winners announced at PhD Student Meeting 2020