The SPHR aims to create an inclusive, welcome and equitable research and training structure and an environment that celebrates diversity and values and recognises contributions from all. The School has an EDI committee that meet regularly to oversee implementation of the 2022–2027 strategy and action plan.
We have developed a 2022–2027 strategy. The associated infographic can be seen below.
The School recently launched its awards for EDI. Two winners were announced at the SPHR Annual Scientific Meeting 2023. The nominations for these awards will be kept open so members of the School can nominate people. Case studies and blogs will be created from these nominations so we can share best practice and enthuse and inspire others.
You may find the following resources helpful:
- NIHR RDS EDI toolkit – this resource has been developed to support researchers to better understand how to embed EDI in research design and to meet the NIHR’s EDI requirements. The toolkit advocates for best practice which goes beyond the NIHR’s current requirements.
- Embedding Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in your Research Project video – other videos are also available on NIHRTV channel
- EPSRC EDI expectations guide
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Science and Health (EDIS) – EDIS is a coalition of organisations working to improve equality, diversity and inclusion within the science and health research sector. If you sign-up for their newsletter, they signpost to new resources.
- Newcastle University have recently launched a EDI toolkit for researchers